Gotta get down on Friday! Here are 5 songs I’ve recently discovered and/or rediscovered and want the whole damn world to hear.
1. Marlena Shaw, California Soul. I know this was in a commercial but I can’t remember which right now. All I know is that this is almost enough to make me wish disco would make a comeback. But not really.
2. Tennis, Marathon. I’m a sucker for feel-good poppy indie goodness.
3. John Mayer, Queen of California. A great new summer jam for the car with a chockful of classic rock references from Neil Young to Joni Mitchell.
4. The Rolling Stones, Tell Me. This song is so old it barely even sounds like the Stones you’ve heard on the radio. But it’s also so good I remember exactly where and when I first heard this. It was the only original song on their debut album.
5. Fountains of Wayne, Hackensack. Now for the heartbreaker song. Boy meets girl, girl moves away and becomes a movie star, boy is stuck back home where his life kinda sucks. Really sweet though. It made me realize Fountains of Wayne is much, much more than Stacy’s Mom, even if I’m 10 years late to the party.